Written by: Ceri, ZENXIN Masterchef
Known traditionally as Haldi Doodh, the Golden Milk has been featured as an Ayurvedic tonic for thousands of years.
Highly regarded, this elixir is thought to balance each dosha——-the heat of the turmeric balances Vata and Kapha doshas and the pungent, bitterness balances Pitta.
The power of curcurmin, the active ingredient in turmeric, is enhanced with the addition of coconut oil and black pepper. Together they improve memory and learning and protect against Alzheimer’s and dementia. Both cinnamon and turmeric help control blood glucose levels in pre-diabetes, while cardamom is commonly used in Ayurveda to improve digestion and eliminate gas.
Rather than dairy milk, cashew milk has been used to offer a dairy-free alternative. Cashews are actually seeds harvested from the cashew apple and as such have a lower fat content than most nuts. As part of the harvesting process, cashews are steamed to remove the outer shell and urushiol which is not safe to eat and is washed away. So technically cashews are not considered raw.
Pumpkin offers natural sweetness as well as fibre and betacarotenes to improve eye health, helping prevent macular degeneration.
OVERNIGHT + 20 MINS
- 70g Simply Natural raw cashew nuts
- 1 cup ZENXIN Organic pumpkin, steamed (~230g)
- 1 tbsp Simply Natural Organic virgin coconut oil
- 3 cups filtered water
- 15g ZENXIN Organic fresh turmeric root, peeled or ½ tsp Simply Natural Organic ground turmeric
- 10g ZENXIN Organic fresh ginger root, peeled or ½ tsp Simply Natural Organic ground ginger
- ¼ tsp Simply Natural Organic cinnamon powder
- ¼ tsp Simply Natural Organic cardamom powder
- 2-3 ZENXIN Organic whole cloves
- Freshly ground Simply Natural Organic black pepper
- Freshly grated ZENXIN Organic nutmeg
- Soak the cashew nuts covered in adequate filtered water for 2 hours.
- Cut the turmeric and ginger roots into thin slices and blend with 3 cups of filtered water.
- Cook for 15 minutes together with cinnamon, cardamom and cloves.
- Wash and steam the pumpkin until soft, for about 10 mins. Remove pumpkin skin.
- Add steamed pumpkin, coconut oil and soaked cashews, blend for 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately with freshly ground black pepper and nutmeg.