The key ingredient in this recipe is the Black Dragon tea which derives its name from the Chinese (乌龙) Oolong. It is a semi-oxidised traditional Chinese tea that is especially popular in South China. It is known to improve cardiovascular health and help prevent strokes and high blood pressure. It also helps prevent obesity by boosting the metabolism.
This recipe incorporates coconut nectar sugar which is a healthier sugar alternative as it includes various trace amounts of minerals such as iron, zinc and potassium. More importantly, it slows down the sugar absorption in the body due to its low glycaemic index (GI:55).
In addition, walnuts add an additional crunchy texture and are also a great source of omega-3 fatty acids which are great for both our brain and heart health.
Credits: Ceri, Zenxin master chef and Belinda Neo, Nutritionist
Print the recipe: Organic Walnut Muffins with Raisins Soaked in Black Dragon Oolong Tea
Preparation: Soak raisins overnight in tea then 10 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Total: Overnight + 40 mins
- 100g organic raisins soaked overnight in Black Dragon tea
- 2 cups organic all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp aluminium-free baking powder
- ½ cup omega premium walnuts
- 1 pinch of Himalayan salt
- 100g Simply Natural coconut nectar sugar
- 150g organic butter, melted
- 1 cup organic milk
- 2 eggs
- Butter for brushing the muffin tins
- Preheat the oven to 190°C and brush muffin tin with butter
- Mix together the all the dried ingredients and add the walnuts
- Add the soaked raisins into the dried mixture and coat thoroughly
- Melt the butter and add the milk and eggs, whisking together
- Add the wet ingredients to the dried, stir quickly
- Portion the mixture into the muffin tray and place in the oven as quickly as possible
- Bake for 30 mins or when a toothpick comes out clean. Serve immediately!