Credits: Ceri, Zenxin master chef
Our black fusilli pasta is formed with the goodness of organic black rice and is naturally gluten-free. A black rice has a high protein and starch content enabling it to be made into very nutritious pasta.
Black rice is a good source of vitamin E and iron as well as anthocyanin, which is the antioxidant responsible for its colour. It has been suggested that anthocyanin improves visual & neurological health as well as protecting the cardiovascular system.
Unlike some animal products squid or calamari is low in saturated fat. Minimally processed as it is here and cooked with heart-healthy olive oil and a little grass-fed butter it makes a delicious addition to flavour the pasta.
The Mediterranean theme is extended with garlic, capers, lemon, toasted pine nuts, cherry tomatoes & sweet basil and the key to the whole dish is the minimal cooking which leaves the nutritional content at its best.
- 30g ‘Simply Natural’ Spanish Organic Extra-virgin Cold-pressed Olive Oil
- 30g Organic Grass-fed Butter
- 6 cloves of Organic Morado Garlic, finely sliced
- 1 fresh Organic Red Supreme Bird Chilli
- 1 fresh Organic Green Supreme Bird Chilli
- 500g cleaned Fresh Calamari (squid), cut into rings
- 300g Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup Dry White Wine
- 1 tablespoon Organic Lemon Juice
- 3 tablespoon La Bio Idea drained bottled capers
- 500g ‘Simply Natural’ Black Gluten-free Fusilli Pasta
- ½ cup loosely packed torn Fresh Basil Leaves
- ¼ cup Pine Nuts, lightly toasted
- 1 tsp grated Organic Lemon Zest
- A pinch of ‘Simply Natural’ French Sea Salt
- A little ‘Simply Natural’ Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- A few sprigs of Fresh Organic Sweet Basil
- Peel and slice the garlic.
- Wash, top and tail the chillies, slice thinly and remove the seeds.
- Wash and clean the squid discarding the beak and removing the wings.
- Pat dry and slice into rings and cut wings and tentacles into bite sized pieces.
- Cook the fusilli in boiling water, 8-10 minutes.
- Heat the oil and butter and sauté garlic and chillies until fragrant, ~ 30 secs.
- Add the squid and sauté for ~1minute, do NOT overcook.
- Add in the wine and tomatoes and simmer for another 2 minutes.
- Add the capers and lemon zest, season to taste, stir and remove from heat.
- Drain the pasta and portion into bowls.
- Add a good helping of the squid mixture to the pasta, garnish with basil.
- Drizzle with a little more olive oil, serve and enjoy.