Is bread and coffee Daddy’s go-to-breakfast option?
While bread sold in the market is full of additives and preservatives, try making one for him on this special occasion! Add flaxseed meal to give Dad an extra boost of omega-3 and fibre. Get creative by letting Dad choose his preferred filling, whether it be a sweet fruity jam, peanut butter, honey or savoury tuna, chicken salad, egg. These combinations fare much better in nutritional content compared to the typical coffee sandwich combo.
Print recipe here: Flaxmeal Sandwich
- Preparation: 20 minutes
- Baking: 30-35 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- Serves: 3-4
- 1 cup (227g) lukewarm water
- 2 1/2 cups (298g) Simply Natural Organic Stoneground Wholegrain Plain Flour
- 1/4 cup (50g) vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons (43g) honey
- 1/2 cup (43g) Simply NaturalOrganic Brown Flaxseed Meal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- Combine all the ingredients, mix and knead by hand, mixer or bread machine, to make a soft, smooth, slightly sticky dough.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl and allow it to rise till it is almost doubled in size, about 60 to 90 minutes.
- Lightly grease a 9 x 5 loaf pan. Gently shape the dough into a smooth log and settle it into the pan, smooth side up.
- Tent the pan with lightly greased plastic wrap, and allow the loaf to rise till its crowned over the rim of the pan by about 3/4, in approximately 30 to 60 minutes. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 175°C.
- Bake the bread for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the centre registers 90°C an instant-read thermometer. Remove bread from the oven and turn it out of the pan onto a rack to cool.