Organic Candied Kumquats in syrup
Organic citrus fruit are a great health booster as the peel is free from carcinogenic hormone disruptors like Imazalil, Thiabenzadole and Orthophenylphenate which are added to extend shelf-life.
With Kumquats we eat them whole including the skin, so it is even more important to eat the organic ones. The skin contains beneficial compounds including limone, a monoterpine which slows cancer growth, lowers cholesterol and de-toxifies the liver.
Here they have been candied with organic cane sugar to preserve them for use as an occasional treat.
Credits: Ceri, Zenxin master chef
Print the recipe: Organic Candied Kumquats in syrup
Preparation: 15 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Total: 30 mins
- 1 cup filtered water
- 2 cups of organic cane sugar
- 450g organic kumquats, quartered and deseeded
- Wash the kumquats and take off the stems, cut into quarters and remove the seeds.
- Add sugar and water into the pot and bring water to the boil. Simmer for 5 minutes then add kumquats and continue to simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Cool and serve as a delicious sauce to accompany fish or desserts. Or pour into a glass container and store in the fridge for later use.