Written by: Ceri, ZENXIN Masterchef
Let warm, heart healthy organic oats lend fibre and beta-glucan to help balance your gut microbiome and cleanse your cardiovascular system of unnecessary cholesterol.
Oats thrive in cool, moist weather and Simply Natural’s luminous Finnish oats take advantage of the midnight sun and short summers in Finland. Here’s where agriculture is one of the northernmost in the world and crops grown benefit from clean arctic air, water and soil, making them purest in Europe. The harsh winters kill off pests, so pesticides are not necessary.
Finnish oats with wild forest berries are the basic ingredients for a traditional Finnish breakfast. Our recipe proposes making this treat with filtered water to keep it dairy-free for the lactose intolerant. We also recommend you soak oats overnight to improve digestibility.
For those needing a warm breakfast as the Finns do especially in Winter, we are cooking it for a short time to get the perfect texture and unique, soft Finnish flavour.
Add a couple of spoonfuls of fresh or cooked berries or a little butter, honey and ground flaxseeds for a truly traditional Finnish treat.
Preparation: Overnight + 5 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Total: Overnight + 15 mins
- 1 cup Simply Natural Finnish rolled oats (or Australian rolled oats)
- 2 cups filtered water
- 1 tbsp freshly ground Simply Natural Organic flaxseeds
- A knob of organic butter
- A sprinkling of soft Simply Natural Organic brown sugar or a handful of fresh ZENXIN Organic berries or organic fruit compote of your choice
- Measure out 1 cup of Simply Natural Finnish rolled oats into a bowl and add 1 cup filtered water
- Leave to soak overnight. In the morning, drain completely.
- Add 1 cup of filtered water to the Thermomix bowl or saucepan.
- Bring to a gentle boil and simmer for 10 mins.
- Top with butter, sugar and freshly ground flaxseeds.
- Alternatively, add fresh organic berries or fruit compote and serve immediately.