Organic Leek and Seed Bread
Looking for an interesting way to include more fibre in your diet? Here we have a seed bread rich in plant lignans, healthy fatty acids, and minerals. This can help reduce cholesterol in the body as well lower the risk of heart disease and diabetes type-2.
The delicious savoury sweetness of baked sweet leeks adds flavour as well as an interesting texture. Leeks are thought to be native to Central Asia but have found a place in many cuisines across the world.
Credits: Ceri, Zenxin master chef
Print the recipe:Organic leek and seed bread
Preparation: 10 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Total: 40 mins
- 500g filtered water
- 2 pkts instant yeast 22g
- 500g organic unbleached bread flour
- 30g organic flaxseeds
- 30g organic sunflower seeds
- 30g organic pumpkin seeds
- 30g organic unhulled sesame seeds
- 1 tsp French sea salt
- 30g Spanish organic cold-pressed virgin olive oil
- 200g organic leeks, sliced
- Extra flour for coating the leeks
- Preheat the oven to 190°C and line 2 loaf tins with baking paper
- Add yeast to warm water in a large stainless steel bowl, leave for 10 mins.
- Add in dry ingredients and mix well, the mixture is very wet.
- Coat the leeks in flour to ensure even distribution in the bread dough.
- Add the leeks and mix thoroughly then drizzle over the olive oil.
- Cover and leave to rise for 1 hr.
- Divide the mixture evenly into the 2 tins and place in the oven.
- Bake for 45 mins, then remove and turn out.
- The loaf should sound hollow when you knock the bottom.
- Serve with salted butter or goat’s cheese and soup. Enjoy!