- Preparation: 5 mins
- Cooking: 15 mins
- ½ cup raw walnut pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped yellow onion
- 6 ounces maitake mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ¾ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup dry wild rice, cooked according to package directions and cooled
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- Toast the walnut pieces over medium-high heat in a large, dry skillet. Stir often and cook for 3 minutes, or until you begin to smell their nutty aroma. Remove from the heat and transfer the nuts to a bowl to cool.
- Add the olive oil to the skillet and return it to medium heat. Add the onions. Cook, stirring often for 1 minute. The onion will begin to turn golden brown in spots as it cooks in the oil. Stir in the mushrooms and cook for about 2 minutes. They will soften and shrink, but still have a somewhat firm bite. Stir in the walnuts and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and add the lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Stir well and let cool to room temperature.
- Transfer the rice to a large bowl. Add the mushrooms. Toss to mix the ingredients. Sprinkle with chives before serving at room temperature or chilled.