Credits: Ceri, ZENXIN Master Chef
India, has since ancient times, been very well known for the excellent quality of exotic spice she shares with the world.
This is also a culture that reveres dairy products. So is it any wonder that both of the above would be added to black tea grown on the Himalayan foothills?
The result is Masala Chai, a fragrant, comforting drink now available almost anywhere on the streets of India.
Now you can also enjoy this exotic treat in the comfort of your own home!
This recipe proudly features Simply Natural Darjeeling Tea, grown in Happy Valley Tea Estate, established in 1854 in West Bengal, some 2100 metres above sea level.
Cultivated in this rarified air in the Himalayan foothills, the Darjeeling Tea exudes a delicate flavour and earned for itself a beautiful name——‘Champagne of Teas’. Less astringent than heavier teas, the musky-sweet taste reminds one of aromatic muscat wine.
Ginger, black pepper, cinnamon and fennel——-the spices added are the finest organic spices grown in India and contain powerful antioxidants which help reduce inflammation and prevent degenerative cognitive impairment. Ginger, black pepper, cinnamon and fennel all help to improve digestion and boost the immune system. While cloves are anti-pathogenic and cardamom promotes heart health and lifts depression. Add a little organic milk and organic raw acacia honey and you have a refined, precious drink that will uplift your spirits.
- 4-5 Simply Natural Organic black peppercorns
- ¼ tsp Simply Natural Organic fennel seeds
- 5-8 organic green cardamom pods
- 3-4 organic whole cloves
- 1 Simply Natural Organic Ceylon cinnamon stick
- 3-4 slices of fresh organic ginger
- 1-2 tbsp Simply Natural Organic Darjeeling black tea
- 3 cups filtered water
- 1 cup organic milk
- 2-3 tsp Simply Natural Organic raw acacia honey
- Crush the fennel, cardamom seeds, cloves and peppercorns in a pestle and mortar.
- Break up the cinnamon and pound together with the other spices.
- Take boiling water and add to the crushed spices, ginger slices, cinnamon and black tea.
- Steep for at least 10 mins.
- The longer the mixture is steeped the stronger the flavour.
- Add in your chosen organic milk and desired raw, organic honey. Enjoy!
Tip: This is sinfully good if you use a thick, creamy organic milk.