This juicy and nutritious chinese cabbage fortune bag has a good meaning for the Chinese. In this recipe, most ingredients used are low in calories, carbohydrates and fats. Carrots and cabbage are great sources of fibre, which promotes healthy bowel movement, aids in digestion and protects the heart. White shiitake mushrooms contain high contents of vitamin D which helps the body to absorb and retain calcium and phosphorus, both are important for stronger bones. Vitamin D also helps to reduce cancer cell growth, fight infections and reduce inflammation. This good luck Chinese New Year dish is suitable for all ages. Make it for your family on this Chinese New Year Eve’s dinner!
- Cooking time: 40 mins
- Serves: 4-5
- 100 g Organic Potato (diced)
- 1 piece Qing Yuan Organic White Shiitake mushroom (soaked and diced)
- 100 g Organic Carrot (diced)
- 100 g Organic Pumpkin (diced)
- 1 medium size Organic Chinese Cabbage (top half)
- 50 g Organic Coriander (stem)
- 1 tablespoon Goji Berry
- 1 tablespoon Cooking Oil
- 300 ml Water
- 1 tablespoon Organic Potato Starch
- 50 ml Water
- ¼ teaspoon Himalayan Rock Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Seasoning G Powder
- ⅛ teaspoon Ground White Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Oyster Sauce
- To prepare filling, heat cooking oil in a wok and stir fry potato, mushroom, carrot and pumpkin. Add some water and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in seasonings and remove from heat. Set aside.
- Cut chinese cabbage into two. Blanch the leaves in boiling water until soft.
- Blanch coriander stem in boiling water.
- Spread out the blanched chinese cabbage leaves. Place 1 tablespoon of the stir fried vegetables in the middle of each leaf.
- Wrap it into a bun and tie it with a blanched coriander stem, just like a fortune bag. Trim the leaves if necessary.
- Steam these fortune bags for 15 minutes or until the filling is well cooked.
- To prepare the sauce, heat the remaining filling in a wok and add water. Bring to a boil.
- Whisk together the potato starch and water. Add the mixture into the soup little by little and stir to combine until desired consistency is achieved.
- Add goji berry and adjust seasonings as needed.
- To serve, pour the sauce over the steamed fortune bags.