Tips on How to Use Soy Lecithin in Your Daily Life
When you mix oil and water, what do you observe? Do they mix together; No right? That’s where an emulsifier plays its role. Extracted from raw soy beans, soy lecithin granules work great as emulsifier, it can help two immiscible ingredients to blend smoothly. You can use them in many recipes when you need an emulsifier or also when you want your dishes to have soft texture. Before adding lecithin in your recipes, remember to dissolve them in hot water for at least 30 minutes.
1. Baked Goods
Adding lecithin in baking can be a healthier alternative for fat. You can use them in the place of egg yolks to allow your dough and ingredients to mix well and keeping them from sticking together. It gives your baked goods the ability to rise with lighter and fluffier texture. In addition, as a natural preservative & stabilizer adding them in baked goods also increases their shelf life.
- Measure 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of lecithin granules for every cup of flour in a recipe. Dissolve the lecithin in the liquid ingredients (Ex: milk). Prepare the baked goods as you normally would and bake them until done.
2. Soups or Sauces
Save the flour and starch. Add soy lecithin for healthier choice to thicken your homemade soups and stews while delivering a creamier texture.
- Cook the sauce or soup until you have all the ingredients added and cooked through. Measure 1/2 teaspoon of soy lecithin per cup of soup or sauce. Dissolve the soy lecithin in hot water. Whisk the lecithin into the soup or sauce until thickened, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
3. Salad Dressing
You can even use lecithin in your homemade salad dressing as an emulsifier to help the oil and vinegar to blend perfectly with other ingredients.
- Simply whisk lecithin into the oil (1/2 teaspoon per 1/2 cup of oil). Prepare aside a mixture of balsamic vinegar and herb in a bowl. Slowly drizzle the oil and lecithin mixture into the vinegar mixture while whisking. Refrigerate and it is all ready to serve.
Lecithin granules also can be a great option to make foams or froths in juices or smoothies. They give your beverages a nice mouthfeel and pleasant appearance with added nutrition.
- All you need to do is to whisk or blend lecithin in your favorite beverages. The ratio of lecithin to use in a froth, foam, or air is about 1% by weight. So, for every 100 grams of liquid that you are foaming, you should add 1 gram of lecithin.
Lecithin can be a great emulsifier in making of homemade vegan-friendly ice-cream or chocolates. For example, to make ice cream, you are need to mix and stabilize a mixture of cream and milk. Adding lecithin ensure that it forms one creamy consistency instead of a watery icy phase mixed with fat globules.
- You can make an egg-less ice-cream with 1.5-4.5g lecithin per litre. Mix it well with the rest of the dry ingredients of your recipe.
2 thoughts on “Tips on How to Use Soy Lecithin Granules in Your Daily Life”
Great post. I’m dealing with many of these issues as well..
I really liked your post.Really looking forward to read more. Fantastic.