Red bean soup (红豆汤 Hóngdòu tāng) is the Chinese classic, Anko (餡子, あんこ) is the sweet filling used in Japanese deserts and Red bean porridge in Korea (팥죽patjug) has both a savoury and a sweet version. Here we have taken adzuki beans, pearl barley and red dates, soaked them overnight, pitted the dates then cooked everything to a paste with organic mandarin peel and apple latterly adding coconut nectar as a sweetener.
Credits: Ceri, Zenxin master chef
Preparation: Overnight + 10 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
Total: Overnight + 10 mins + 40mins
Serves: 6 – 8
- 1 cup ‘Simply Natural’ organic adzuki beans
- ¼ cup ‘Simply Natural’ organic pearl barley
- 10 pitted organic red dates
- 1 large organic jumbo fuji apple
- 1 piece of dried organic mandarin peel
- 5 cups filtered water
- 3 tbsp ‘Simply Natural’ organic coconut nectar sugar, added towards the end
- Place adzuki beans in a bowl and cover with at least 2” filtered water to soak overnight.
- Rinse barley & red dates and put to soak overnight, again well covered with water.
- Drain and rise both the beans and the grains and put together in the chosen pot.
- Add in the soaked, pitted red dates and mandarin peel.
- Wash, core and peel the Jumbo apple and cut into the pot in small pieces.
- Add the water and bring to the boil, then turn down to simmer for 40 mins
( For Thermomix 40 mins, 100°C Reverse, lowest speed)
- When beans and barley are soft, add in the coconut sugar.
- Blend to required consistency using a hand blender.
( or for Thermomix 30 secs speed 5 or to desired consistency)