【Organic Dates all the way🛩from Egypt】
It’s that time of the year again where our Muslim friends celebrate the holy month, Ramadhan. The food that comes to heart at this Islamic fasting month would be Dates! Almost all Muslims around the world are breaking the fast with a couple of dates together with a glass of water or milk; following the example of the Prophet Mohammed, who had already done so.
Fun Facts about DATES;
- There are more than 1500 varieties worldwide
- Situated at top of the list among Sunnah foods. Sunnah foods are
- nutritious & nourishing foods consumed by Prophet Muhammad during
- His lifetime for the benefits of internal & external health.
- Rich in carbohydrates, making them an excellent source of energy.
- Incredibly low in fats.
- High in dietary fiber.
- High in Potassium (100g of dates provides 656mg of Potassium).
【The Egyptian Siwa Dates】
Our Zenxin Organic Dates are sourced directly from Egypt. Grown in SEKEM farm situated at the El Bahariya oasis is where exactly our Siwa variety dates are originated from. These dates are grown under biodynamic agricultural method and is certified by Demeter; a predominant biodynamic certification organization.
Our Organic Dried Dates are naturally sweet and they are perfect to be eaten on the go. Their firm texture makes them a suitable ingredient to be baked into any baked goods or make your own version of Date Milk! These sweet treats aren’t just sweet, but they are NATURALLY sweet, without any extra sugars added into it!
According to people in SEKEM, “the small sweet bites are part of tradition, known as a good deed and all-rounder: they are not only healthy, but also give the body lots of energy after a long day of fasting.” We all should aim to keep our sugar intake down & be mindful of our sources of sugars. Although these dates provide a satisfying alternative to eating a candy bar loaded with refined sugar, we all should be moderate in consuming it.
Have a blessed Ramadhan & Happy Iftar to our Muslim Friends!
Your friendly nutritionist.
Here’s a simple recipe for you to try!
Energy-packed ‘Banadate’ Smoothie
Makes about 4 cups; serves 2
- 2 medium ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup pitted dried dates
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds / flaxseeds
- 4 ice cubes
- A pinch of ground cinnamon
- Place all the ingredients in a blender and blend on high speed until a smooth consistency is achieved.
- Divide between 2 cups and serve with a sprinkle of cinnamon. Enjoy! It’s best enjoyed immediately 😉
Recipe by Dietitian Jowynna Yeo